541-367-5882

  • Serving the Sweet Home area



  • Chief Barringer

The mission statement of the Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District is to provide for the protection of life and property that is threatened by fire, hazardous materials, accidents, disasters or medical emergencies. This will be carried out by a well-trained and well- equipped department that is responsive to the needs and desires of the citizens of the community.

Cigarette ruled the cause of an apartment fire in Sweet Home (Photo)

At 5:01 pm the Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District was dispatched to an apartment fire at 2300 Main Street.  Dispatchers told firefighters that occupants in one of the apartments were unable to get out.  When the first fire unit arrived, there were flames showing inside the middle apartment on the first floor of a 6 unit apartment building.  The owner of the building was using a garden hose to put water on the flames, from outside the door.  The occupant of the apartment that was on fire had already exited the building safely.  Sweet Home Police Officers assisted the Battalion Chief with evacuation of the remaining 5 apartments, 3 of which were on the second floor of the building with their only means of escape being the stairwell directly above the fire.That stairwell had sustained minor damage from the fire. The fire was quickly extinguished by the 8 firefighters who responded to the scene.  There were no injuries.  The building sustained an estimated $20,000 in damage, with an estimated $3,500 damage to the contents of the apartment.  The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, due to improperly discarded cigarettes. One occupant was displaced by the fire, and was receiving aid from the American Red Cross.  Sweet Home Fire would like to remind everyone to please use caution if you choose to smoke inside your home and ensure that all cigarettes and burning materials are disposed of properly.  We would also like to remind everyone to ensure that they have working smoke detectors in their homes. 

If photo is available it can be found here
Cigarette ruled the cause of an apartment fire in Sweet Home (Photo)

Posted By:
Tagged:
0

Sweet Home Structure Fire (Photo)

An early Saturday morning fire at 4302 Airport Rd at 0630. Gutted a residential home. Arriving units found a garage, part of the house, and three cars engulfed in flames. No residents or firefighters were injured. The home was a total loss estimated at $225,000 for the home and $100,000 in contents. Fifteen firefighers and four fire apparatus were used to contain the blaze with mutual aid used from Lebanon Fire District.

If photo is available it can be found here
Sweet Home Structure Fire (Photo)

Posted By:
Tagged:
0

Hunter rescued from mountains south of Green Peter Resevoir (Photo)

Today at approximately 2 pm, Crews responded to a Technical Rescue 10 miles off of quartsville road. The hunter was located off the South Bank 220 road southeast of Green Peter dam.  A hunter was having heart problems and unable to stand or walk.  Victims hunting partner drove to cell service  and waited to lead crews in.  It took an hour to hike down and locate the victim 600 feet down a steep bank and 45 minutes to assist him out to the road.  8 firefighters from Sweet Home Fire along with 3 firefighters from Oregon Department of Forestry, one Linn County Sheriff's deputy and one OSP game warden responded.

If photo is available it can be found here
Hunter rescued from mountains south of Green Peter Resevoir (Photo)

Posted By:
Tagged:
0

Discarded Cigarette Sparks Devastating House Fire

The Sweet Home Fire District responded to a house fire on Osage street around 11:30 this morning.  When fire apparatus arrived on scene they found a double-wide manufactured home with smoke coming from the void space between the ceiling and the roof.  Crews from the Oregon Department of Forestry were already assisting in firefighting operations, having extinguished the flames on the outside of the home helping to stop the spread of fire beyond that structure as well as limiting the damage to that structure. Crews continued to battle the fire and overhaul the structure for several hours with help from a mutual aid engine response from the neighboring Lebanon Fire Department.  All occupants of the home were able to escape the fire without injury, however, the home sustained heavy damage.  An investigation led by the Oregon State Fire Marshal's Office determined the start of the fire to be unintentional and the cause was determined to be a discarded cigarette that had fallen against a plastic vent cover in the foundation of the home.  The cigarette melted the vent until it ignited and the fire then spread to the exterior siding and from there into the void space between the roof and ceiling.

If photo is available it can be found here
Discarded Cigarette Sparks Devastating House Fire

Posted By:
Tagged:
0

Sweet Home Fire & Ambulance

In an emergency, please call 911.

1099 Long Street, Sweet Home, OR, 97386